5.9.09

A Concrete Connection

The Importance Of The Urban Collective

As I walk up to Camas, an independently run, not-for-profit bookstore and info shop in Victoria, British Columbia, I see a girl with a guitar. She is perched on a chair outside of the store. A variety of artists and musicians surround her cross legged on the sidewalk hanging out, playing guitar, laughing and chatting. It's 8pm on a Friday night and I'm feeling a warm welcoming vibe coming from the softly lit doorway to the shop. I seem to pay no mind to the mad traffic behind me on Quadra Street, a busy, never-ending street that extends the length of the city, lined with an eclectic mix of neighborhoods along its way. I'm here to support my friend Jody Franklin as he and his fellow Camas friends set up a guerrilla art show PANIC! Along with community events and art shows, Jody, an artist originally based out of Vancouver, experiments with music, film, performance art and is co-founder/editor of online magazine MungBeing.

Inside Camas is a stack of bookshelves to my left that have been pushed to the font of the store to make room for the night's event. On the walls are various posters spreading the message of anarchy, bulletins for community support groups and organizations, politically charged art and perspectives on canvas. There is also a rack of clothing against the wall full of screen-printed T-shirts and message patched pants for purchase. Everything in this venue of the night is a piece of art that has been experienced and shared by its community. Ahead of me lies the artwork of the evening, a collage of local creations by artists, including Mr. Franklin, that have dropped in to collaborate and co-habitat in the Camas space. It's a relaxed atmosphere where antique velour sofas rest together as if to resemble your own living room. A wooden coffee table is displayed in the center like a work of carved art. Its moldings of babies, skulls, lumps and bumps painted in white holds this comfy circle of cushions together in the middle. Jody is found behind the front counter over to the right riffling through some cds and preparing for the show. I walk over to this man dressed in a bright orange button up T-shirt with a black tie and say hello. He walks around the counter and greets me with open arms and a warm hug! We chat for a few minutes before I allow him to return to his creative pursuits. I sit down in the corner by the book shelves and proceed to read a chapter from a book on the physical and psychological effects of Marijuana. As I'm reading, a young, spirited girl grabs the banjo next to me and sits down. She begins to strum a few chords, then holds the open back of the banjo up to her mouth and breathes into it, making vibrations with her voice that carry throughout the room. She uses different tones with each breath creating a wave of beats that form a juicy plethora of sounds. I am amazed at this raw talent sprawled out on the floor before me and move to her music in my chair...

Later in the evening I find myself nestled on a long, green velour couch at the back of the store with a glass of water in hand. I look up at Camas' crowd that has grown to a fair 20 or so people and the lights have dimmed. There is a band about to go on, yet a worldly sound is beating through the speakers and everyone is deep in conversation. I overhear two men speaking of a sustainable food collective in the city that they would like to see more people involved in. They discuss the possibility of including a sign-up sheet at their table for The Victoria Anarchist Bookfair next weekend in hopes of receiving more donations and stirring others to get involved. I see a beautiful gypsy girl in the distance. She looks my way and smiles. A few minutes go by and she has made her way through the crowd and casually sits beside me. I'm looking through a small pictorial art book that holds abstract sketches and collage art. We look at it together as we trade stories. This stunning brunette, with deeply stained lips, draped in flowing fabrics and a crochet shall is a student filmmaker and scriptwriter. We briefly touch on our family histories, life making ends meet, inner peace and contentment as well and the subject of spirituality and religion. I realize in the midst of our insights that we are connected in our thoughts and we are both in pursuit of finding balance in our lives. My magical friend then introduces me to her friend Alex, a tall, slim, neatly dressed young man with bright, honest eyes and a modest demeanor. He wavers in front of me as he settles himself into the crowd and chats with our mutual friend. I welcome him into me space and he sits next to me. We talk about opportunity, day jobs and personal goals. In a matter of 30 minutes I have shared experiences with my new found connections, creating a moment of honest understanding.

Wrapped up in the warm blanket of stimulating banter, surrounded by art and music, I feel this sense of belonging that I once felt when I was a part of another urban collective: Apollo, a small bar and restaurant in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Local musicians and university students would come together to share their ideas, art and creative visions, as well as offer support and make connections. The Apollo had a lasting effect on me. A creative collective of minds who became my family, my friends and my greatest supporters at a time in my life when I needed it the most. I still continue to benefit from loving friendships that I've gained as part of its community. Urban collectives are integral to the social life and culture of our communities. These venues provide supportive social interaction, creating a basis for strong community involvement, political and social awareness, artistic expression and human connections. In turn, places like Camas Bookstore and Info Shop give the people a place to call home where they are accepted without labels, giving each individual a sense of worth and belonging.

No comments:

Post a Comment